Saturday, January 10, 2009

Sympecma fusca, surviving in the winter

The Common Winter Damselfly (Sympecma fusca) hibernates as an adult. Yesterday I took the challenge to find some of them. It turns out that I am a lousy searcher. On the location which I suggested myself, some others went looking and found multiple individuals. One person exactly described the branch where one could be found. That is the only one I was able to find. But I made some nice photos.

Sympecma fusca, hibernating


Sympecma fusca

3 comments:

spookydragonfly said...

Wow! What a neat capture! They hibernate in the open and not under brush or the ground?! Brrr!!!

Geeko said...

Fantastic pics. It's only the second time I see pics of Sympecma fusca under snow or frost.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting find, beautifully photographed....

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Living in the Netherlands.